Here is an article that Robb sent me today because those of you who know me, know of my perfectionist ways. I guess if someone asks me to do something I just want to do it with all my heart, otherwise I figure I am wasting my time and their time if I do not give them my all. I know everyone does not feel the same way, so I guess that is why I get frustrated. I guess I am not to the point of getting to good enough is good enough for me.Here is the article:
Do you strive for perfection? Do you spend hours obsessing over the tiniest details of your life until they’re exactly right? Do you feel uncomfortable when everything in your life isn’t “just so”? Are you prepared for every eventuality, even the most unlikely?
In short, are you a perfectionist?
There are times when perfection is called for, of course, but allow me to suggest to you that most of the time, “good enough” will do. There’s a point where it takes more and more energy to achieve smaller and smaller gains — where you’re putting in as much effort as you’ve spent on a project so far to get a tiny 1% or 2% improvement.
It can be hard to accept imperfections, though. We all want to shine, and often feel that we won’t be recognized unless our work is absolutely flawless. Yet there are plenty of examples where this isn’t the case. Walt Whitman felt that his book Leaves of Grass, the book that established his place in the American literature canon, was never quite right, and re-issued revised editions throughout his life. Countless authors have complained about their early work — some claim they can’t even bear to read the works that launched them to national attention! The sciences are based on the premise that you publish as soon as your work is “good enough” — and let the rest of the science world try to perfect it.
And yet we struggle. We concede a lot when we aim for less than perfection.
1 comment:
Do you make sure the lines on the carpet while you vacuum meet up properly? I think it's a good quality to always want something to be a little or how else will we improve. I guess it goes bad when we become OC over it and eventually are driven mad as we try to make the perfect circle, for example. I think your need for perfection is what makes you so good :)
Post a Comment