Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Please Don't Judge Me

It all started when I would not stop at the t.v.'s at Sam's Club to let Cole see the remotes. I said not today and he started to whine. I just did what I usually do and tried to ignore, but the whining continued. I picked up a few cute things for Grant and saw a pair of shorts for Cole. I put them in the cart and as I turn around he threw them back out. I then told him that he would not be getting them at all. Well that was it. (Let me just say that usually Cole is agreeable and easy. But when he is tired he can be unreasonable and irrational). He started crying which escalated into a scream about the shorts he threw out that he now must have! This also made Grant upset and he started to cry. I tried to find the path of least resistance where no one was going down an aisle for a quick escape, but Sam's is a warehouse and well yes they echo! I got looks and stares like you would not believe. I just smiled at everyone and acted like nothing was wrong. Well when I got to the checkout of course it was packed and everyone had to listen to my kids screaming. However the older lady next to me decided to give me dirty looks. I remained calm and tried to reason with Cole, with no luck. I then proceeded to threaten to take away his currencies(kid's shows, games, and then threatened a nap!) All this very calmly I might add. Of course the guy at the checkout got a laugh and tried to hurry me along. When he realized we were leaving without shorts it got worse. It all ended with a stop on the way home because he jumped out of his seat belt. Yes then I got mad because it was dangerous and him going to timeout and falling asleep in the timeout chair.
Whew what an exhausting ordeal. I ate lots of chocolate after he and Grant both fell asleep.
I know that if you have never been in this situation, I guarantee you will and if you are old and your kids are grown up please try to remember when this was you. It has and will happen to everyone, if it doesn't then you have the perfect child and don't tell me about it!

7 comments:

Becky said...

Yes, and if doesn't happen to you and you do have a child, you had better check it's pulse because it is no longer functioning. It's funny, but I've gotten both the dirty looks and the empathetic looks in the same shot. This was at the movie theater for a Disney film. There was an old couple sitting behind us and another sitting to our right. The boys kept asking questions, not too annoying and Isaac was a little ornery. The ones on our right complained about us quite often and the one's behind us after the movie just smiled and said they remembered those days, so adorable.

Deanne said...

We've all been there! In fact, Sam's Club just happens to be the last place Truman had a meltdown too.

The cement floors and high ceilings don't do much for discretion, when you have a screaming kid! Chocolate always seems to make things a little better. =)

Julie said...

I can't believe your child would behave in such a way - mine never would ;) At least most of our meltdowns happen at home these days...

Alison B said...

oh, please!!!! sounds like you are normal!!! NOONE should judge you! Those silly kids have minds of their own with their own personalities.

We've certainly all been there. Drew was like that on the plane all the way from las Vegas. That was no fun. People judged us, I'm sure, but we just do the best we can...

Anonymous said...

I can remember going grocery shopping and the kids getting to out of hand that I just left the half filled cart at the front of the store and went home. I did the shopping later that night when Randy was home to stay with the kids. So it happens to every one and if any one is judging they just have bad memories. Love Jackie

Anonymous said...

Back when you parents were little babysitters only charged $2.00 an hour so it was more affordable and enjoyable (for all) to leave the little ones at home. You have my admiration
Sorry we didn't get to see everyone when we were there for a visit. It was very quick with our trip to Cleveland in the middle.

Love you guys,
Aunt Pam

Weiss Women said...

Kids acting badly in public? Not mine! Remember Gwyneth or was it Olivia's time out at the reunion? It is slowly NOT becoming a daily thing! My favorite time was when we were at Red Robin with a friend and her son and the couple at the table next to us couldn't handle us and our noise and so they asked to move across the restaurant. It was lunch time and no one was there anyway. And if you go to a restaurant with no cloth napkins and a big red bird as a mascot MAYBE there will be kids there. We laughed and laughed making our table even louder! You are calm and cool under pressure and I think people respect that more when your kids are having a hard time. Good job!