So we took Cole into a specialist and we found out that he has a Sensory Disorder as I have suspected awhile ago.
What it is?
Sensory disorders may influence one, some, or all of the physical senses. There are 7 categories encompassing our sensory functions. These groups are: Tactile (touch), Auditory (hearing), Visual (sight), Taste, Olfactory (smell), Vestibular (movement and gravity), and Proprioceptive (body awareness, muscles, and joints). Most people experiencing sensory disorders are either hypersensitive (over stimulated) or hypo sensitive (under stimulated). One defective sense influences several different bodily functions. If one or more senses are disturbed, the sensory messages sent to the brain are incorrect. These messages become disarranged, causing the individual afflicted to perceive their environment in a different way. Reality is misinterpreted, leading to faulty judgments and replies.
What this looks like in Cole:
Tactile:dislike of grooming (brushing teeth and/or hair, etc.), and dislikes wearing clothing, clothing tags, socks, and/or shoes.
Auditory: covers ears, evades large groups of people, listens to TV, radio, etc., bothered by environmental commotion.
Olfactory:gags and/or vomits when around specific odors.
Vestibular: Panics when upside down and/or tilted to one side, terrified of feet leaving the ground, becomes nervous around water, and may not enjoy riding in vehicles (becomes ill from the movement).
Proprioceptive: Trouble with fine motor dexterity (grasping tiny objects, drawing, writing, coloring, pouring, etc.)and has a tendency to support self by clinging to other people, furniture, and other secure items.
I feel so bad knowing that I just realized this. I always thought he was fussy when it comes to socks, clothing, scared when it comes to swinging or getting in water, and clingy when he always wants me to hold him, and inappropriate when he plugs his ears in Primary when everyone is singing, weak stomach when he gags at everything, and not being social with others when he quiet plays. But know I realize that these were things he can not help and it affects the way he reacts to situations.
What is the cure for this?
He is getting treatment and we are working at home with him on what they call heavy work activities. Motor skills training methods that normally consist of adaptive physical education, movement education, and
gymnastics type things. Also we will be using body brushing followed by deep joint compressions. This will help him respond more normally to touch.
These things should change the way his brain uses the information from his senses to process these situations so he does not overreact.
I wanted to post this so that friends and family could understand this more and help us to help him. They said he should be able to see progress by 3 months of therapy! We are happy to help him in something we are learning so much more about. It sounded really silly at first, but really explains a lot of Cole's behavior and we realized that it is affecting his motor skills such as using his hands.
Tuesday, June 09, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Amanda
Cole's behaviors said a lot like my little cousin Mark's behaviors. He stated therepy several years ago and has changed so much. Good luck I know it will work great. You will be shock how different he will be in no time at all.
Wow, I didn't know there was such a thing but now that I think about it, I've seen kids who seem more sensitive to their surroundings, especially with sounds. I hope everything works out well.
I'm glad you posted this on the blog. It's nice to read about it and better understand it all.
Good luck with the treatments. It sounds like there will be noticeable results before you know it!
My kiddo has a lot of sensory issues as well. We found the book, The Out-of-Sync Child, by Kranowitz, to be a helpful resource. It helped us understand what was going on in these little ones' heads. Then we could explain it better to friends and family, just like you've done. Good luck with therapy. Cole is an adorable little boy and always will be.
Thank you for posting this. I have never heard of it but it makes alot of sense. We will keep all of you in our prayers.
Love
Aunt Pam
Ditto - thanks for posting.
Post a Comment