Thursday, July 02, 2009

Designer's Challenge Giveaway!

So here's the challenge:
I am trying to design rooms in my house. I am not looking at replacing furniture, but maybe a light fixture, rug, fabric, color on the walls, etc. So the first room I need help with is the kitchen. So what is in it for you? Well from the people that pick the winning design I will have a special design prize! If you think it sounds fun, than hop aboard and help me. I am posting 2 mock ups of my kitchen design ideas. All you need to do is tell me which one you like and why? I have been debating on where my style lies and I waiver between classic, more traditional, timeless or modern, classic yet fun. My kitchen already has light wood cabinet, white appliances, wood floors, and a pedestal table with wood chairs(all replicas in the design). Which I might paint. I will post photos of my kitchen later.
So which design do you like and why?

13 comments:

Rebecca said...

hmm. Tough choice. I think second one- with the green walls and flowers. It looks a bit more light and cheery. I think kitchens should be fun and upbeat. People always gather in kitchens and so they should be inviting, yet relaxing. I like the other one too but I might do something more serious in a more formal room-sitting/piano room or perhaps a bedroom. Those are my ideas. I need help from you though. I can't even gather stuff into one idea! I am sure your kitchen will be beautiful because your design skills are great-I saw your last house!

Welch Mom said...

Rebecca,
Anytime you need help I am more than willing! Thanks for the compliment, but I think I struggle just as much as the next guy! And this is just one room, whew, I am already exhausted. I think I have too many ideas!

Deanne said...

I initially liked the first one. But have you heard that the warm colors - red, orange, yellow make you want to eat more? I'm not sure if that's true, but I know those are the colors of McD's, Wendy's, etc.

I agree that the green one has a relaxing feeling and the flowers give it a cheery feeling. The green would flow well into your sun room too. Kind of a natural, outdoorsy feel.

So, I'm really a lot of help. =) I'm just impressed that you put together an actual design plan. I love your creative, yet organized mind!

Becky said...

Definitely the Modern Classic (no.1). The kitchen colors are already so neutral and void of any style or color that one could fall asleep while eating in such surroundings. The pizazz and pop of the red and the black gives that room some life. I like both designs but with the basic permanent things things the other one seems to just blend or wash out. Unless you are thinking of painting the cabinets that's where I would stand. :) Thanks for asking our opinions, I always seem to have one to share when design is involved. Though, you wouldn't know it by my own place...

Natalie said...

While I love both designs, I have to say I'm partial to the first one wtih the red and white stripes on the valances. Red is perfect in a kitchen (passionate and appetite-inducing), and I love the Euro-flair that the stripes and the artwork lend. What a fun idea! Good luck and have fun!

The Stump Clan said...

I have absolutely no brilliant insights- but I prefer the first- the classic. I just prefer it to contemporary- always have. But the second looks nice too, my choice would just be number one! Good luck and have fun!!

Anonymous said...

Definitely the second one. I agree kitchens are suppose to be fun, airy feeling places to hang out. The first one definitely feels more serious. You guys are a more fun, energetic family.

Hugs
Aunt Pam

Halee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Halee said...

Definetly CLASSIC....My reason It's tried and true no worrying if the fixtures are to out there it's safe to go with the Classic look with modern technology. What do I know I'm a guy

Robb said...

Can you use modern and classic to describe the same thing? I think you just broke the internet with that one, besides I am the one who has to move, paint, install whatever version you eventually decide on so I say go with the blue one!!

Becky said...

Robb mentioned a blue one. Was there a blue one? Or is that the current color of your wall?

Welch Mom said...

Commenting on Robb's comments:
The reason that it is Modern Classic is because I am mixing the 2 styles of Modern with Classic so it is actually eclectic style. And no there is no blue room. He is teasing because all the rooms in our house tend to be blue no matter what color we plan to paint it.

Todd*Jenny Lei*Savannah*Nate said...

Ummmm, well I have to say that you are way better at this than me. And I bet that no matter which one you do, it'll look pretty great! Good Luck!