Tuesday, November 20, 2007

I guess I am it, everyone run and hide

The rules of the game should be posted at the beginning of the post. Each player lists 6 facts/habits about themselves. At the end of the post, the player then tags 6 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know that they have been tagged and asking them to read your blog.

1. Many of you may now know that I was a baseball player for many years, and enjoyed a certain amount of success at it, but my favorite sport to play from early on in childhood even to this day is basketball. I was wayyyy better at baseball but enjoyed playing basketball more. I would spend hours shooting baskets as a kid even into the thick of winter in the back yard. I just wish I had more motivation to still play it today at the weekly church pick up games. Oh and if I could still dunk that might help in my desire to play, I hate feeling older and not being able to do all the athletic things I used to be able to.

2. I have come to the realization as I have gotten older that I have an addictive personality when it comes to many things including personal interests or hobbies. I find something that interests me and I consume it till I have wrung every last drop of it that I want or can; until at some point, I find a new fascination. Whether it be a book I read in 2 or 3 sittings, music interest in different genres that come and go like the tide or a particular song that I like and listen to so much it drives Amanda nuts. Case in point I have added a couple of my current playlist songs and artist's in the music player. Mobius Band - Friends Like These (fun video), and Joseph Arthur - Honey and the Moon are the latest songs to get stuck in my ever evolving playlist. Curiously having come from a family full of musicians in all forms I have never caught the bug of wanting to learn to play. I would love to play but I never had the patience as a kid to follow through on all the multiple opportunities to take lessons at the family business, one of my true regrets now. I have a wide range of addictions; some lasting for years like consuming myself with sports and physical training or more short term like fishing for bass at the in-laws lake or for that matter anything that catches my interest, which brings me to #3.

3. My current addiction is technology and gadgets so to speak. I can't get enough of them. MP3 players, Music Software for computers, know how in all things tech. I got really interested in computers recently and just finished building one for Amanda's business, Todd would be happy to know that it had to be souped up for maximum performance, so I overclocked the processor and maxed out the Ram and made a raid array for the hard drives, customized all the settings, got the latest operating system.... will it ever end.

4. I am a bonafide geek. See #3 and the fact that I love video games. My current and most enjoyable game I am playing is the Halo series on the xbox 360, the 3rd installment just came out and is taking up more of my available free time then it should. You can play against other people online and it can get competitive, I think that may be why I like Halo as much as I do, it gives me an outlet in which to compete in something. There is also a group of us guys who get together every so often to play this and other computer games with and against each other just for fun and a night out, so at least I am not alone in my geekdome.

5. I have had the opportunity to do some pretty cool and fun things, but one of the coolest has got to be living in Australia for a winter playing baseball. My team was based in the Coolangata area better known locally as surfers paradise and it truly was a little paradise here on earth. I loved my time there and if I could, I would immigrate there. I got to do some crazy things and enjoy some very serene things as well. I loved all the little differences from American culture the atmosphere , people and weather... I could go on but I don't want to depress myself anymore before winter sets in.

6. Sorry for the cheese factor, but I love being a dad. It is the most fun and rewarding experience I have ever had. Cole has gotten very adept at using the phone in the last few months and often times forces Amanda to call me while at work and I can't wait for those calls to break up the day. The blessing of having Cole has much further implications for our family, as it was his impending arrival and the feelings and desires that were growing within me, of what I wanted for him and for my family; that finally got me off the fence and back to church again after being gone for so long. I may have eventually gotten back at some point but he got the ball rolling at a much quicker pace.

And with that, this little sneak peak at me has gotten way to long. For those we can't see this holiday we will miss you and have you in our thoughts and hope to see you soon. Happy thanksgiving everyone!



I am going to tag Todd, Nick, Dave and Dave, Justin and Andrew. Sorry guys.

1 comment:

Ally Cat Girl said...

I have an obsessive personality too. When I was reading about that I thought yep, that's me. I'm sure Nick will respond now that all of our company is gone and the holidays are over.