Sunday, January 11, 2009

Just to clarify what an emergency is?


So today we are getting ready for church and I put the boys in the tub. I tell Robb to watch them for a second while I go downstairs to get a needle to sew his hole in his sweater that he is wearing( And yes I was going to sew it while it was on him). Convenience people! Anyway I hear Robb yell from upstairs "Amanda, Come Quick!" which then leads me to think something awful has happened. My heart is pounding thinking one of the boys hit their head in the tub, baby fell in the water, you know something awful that a mother fears. So I have the longest nightgown on and a loose carpet on the step and mind you I am sprinting up the stairs as fast as I can. I trip and fall on the stairs and am planted face first looking up at Robb. My toe twists and is hurting badly. I say what is it? He says Grant went #2 in the tub. I then let out a choice word(not a bad one just an unpleasant one) and I yell at Robb: "Don't yell like that for me, I thought one of our children were severely hurt or something. That is not an emergency I say. Don't do that to me"( my heart pounding and my toe throbbing, which I now concentrate on because I realize that my children are not hurt). I stay on the stair because I can not make it over the gate and say I think I broke my toe. I am so mad at Robb because I try to explain to him and I bet there are those that agree: Going #2, puking(he has done this same yelling when Cole puked) or making a mess of any sort to clarify to those of you who need it, is just an everyday occurrence in a mother's life not am emergency. Am I right?
I just had to laugh at this story later on because I could imagine how ridiculous I looked running up those stairs to discover the BM floating around in the tub!

5 comments:

barb said...

Oh I laughed so at this story - and it is SO TRUE - happens all the time! And just for informational purposes, even when the kids grow up, the need to define emergency voices still exists. Glad you can see the humor in it - hope your toe is okay.

Deanne said...

We've been there too. Poop is not necessarily an emergency, but Justin seems to treat it the same way Robb does. It must be a guy thing! =)

Becky said...

That's too funny. How's your toe? We had a similar experience when Chris found the boys in the basement with an open bathroom trash bag and a red mural on the wall. I came running down stairs as he wailed in disgust. The red lines on the wall glittered and I explained it was some red lipstick I'd thrown away and nothing else.

Natalie said...

You are 100% correct. Bodily function byproducts are no emergency in a mom's life! I feel so bad that you hurt your toe and hope that it's feeling better.

Unknown said...

Amanda, this story is so funny. I am sorry to laugh so hard at your toe's expense. Is it better?