Saturday, January 03, 2009

My Hippie Child


I had to laugh today as I went to take Cole's shoes off and he hurriedly yelled take off my socks! I knew that would be next because he has issues with having his socks on without shoes. I asked him jokingly because I already knew the answer "What you do not like socks?" He replied " No mom, I just like feet".
He has been like this for awhile and he also hates tags on shirts, getting his face and hands wet, touching sand on his feet, getting his hands dirty, anything messy. I thought that maybe he was just a fussy kid, but then someone said he is "tactilely defensive". I brushed it off thinking that they were making up some kind of thing, but today I decided to look it up and it is a real disorder. It is something with the nerves that can be overstimulated by these things as to cause pain and make the person overly sensitive to things associated with touch and texture. For years we have tried to get Cole to wear slippers and we have to bribe him and he puts them on and just looks like he is in agony wearing them. He will not even walk if he has them on. He wears them for about 5 minutes and just has them off again. I was astonished to find that he fits a lot of the characteristics of this disorder. It also says to not push or punish these kids for acting this way because they can not help it. Huh? Who would have thought? I just thought Cole was my fussy hippie child. Has anyone else ever heard of this or have known someone with this?

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Yes, I have heard of that disorder and I think a few of my students have had it. Poor Cole; it seems to me that tactile defensiveness would be awful to live with! I also hate socks, but it's just because I'm part-hippie. :)

Jessie said...

I've heard of this too. Lots of kids have it in degrees. Mild or really severe like in some children with autism. I wouldn't worry about it too much but its definitely good to be aware. What a good mom you are!

PS Noah does the same thing with his shoes and socks, and I've cut off a lot of the tags on his shirts too.

Welch Mom said...

I am not sure my self diagnose is right, but if he does have it, it is a mild case. I think I will ask the dr. about it.